Sunday, August 24, 2008

Yep, I'm living in Africa

A friend asked me today if it has hit me that I'm living in Africa. This weekend I can tell you it has.

I made it through my first week of school. Pretty uneventful. It's taken me a while to get used to teaching on a regular 8-period schedule. I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. I need to learn to slow my planning a bit.

On Friday night, we had a potluck in our apt building and then watched a movie on the roof. They hooked up a projector and showed it on a wall. It was surreal really. Here we were, watching Next, on top of our roof in Africa!?! During the movie, we saw two shooting stars. It was so cool.

In a 24 hour span on Sat/Sun, I think we had no electricity more than we had electricity. We had four power cuts, all lasting 2-3 hours. Three happened at night, one early Sat morning and two early Sunday morning (boo) and one when I was trying to talk with my family (double boo).
My roomie and I had a family over for dinner on Sat night so we had 4 pizzas. During that process, our mixer broke.
(We couldn't win that day.)
Fortunately we had a great time with the family. They have 5 kids, 4 joined us for dinner so we had 8 people around our table. After dinner we played spoons.

I was hoping to post pictures today, but my laptop will not work. I don't know why.

My roomie told me we can stress about these things or we can roll with it. We've gotta roll or we wouldn't make it.

Things to pray about:
1. The plane crash in Madrid. It has affected Tres Cantos, where I spent 6 weeks last summer.
2. One of our students has a bad case of malaria. It's a reality here, but it's still scary.

1 comment:

sara lyn said...

that's a wise roomie you have! sorry for the frustrations...but watching a movie on the roof of the sandcastle sounds heavenly to me. :) enjoy the community you have there...and the surreal moments. :)