Wednesday, August 20, 2008

the ups and downs

Note: This was started 8-20. In the middle of it, we lost power so now it's a post that spans two days.

Today, for the first time, I can honestly say I wanted to be back in the states. Tipton started school today, and I wanted to be there. I guess that's a good sign as I did try to pour my heart into that place. Some days were better than others...

The day did progress nicely here though. I received some affirming words from students here which is what I needed for that day.

Life without constant electricity and water is interesting. The former is not too bad (unless you're trying to sleep), but the latter is challenging. My roomie and I were without water for over 13 hours (long story), and we were also without electricity during part of that time. Simple things like showering or using the restroom suddenly become really complicated. ;)

I've noticed that life without electricity makes us slow down. Take last night for instance. My roomie and I were able to pray, share a meal, and sit outside and talk while enjoying the cookies we made the day before. There were no distractions of computer work or watching a movie. It's nice in a way. (Don't get me wrong. I love having electricity.)



Random things:
1. There is a snail outside the computer room door that is as long as a pen.
2. My classroom was painted 1.5 years ago, and the paint still hasn't dried completely.


I feel like I'm leaving so many things out. It still feels like a dream. Instead of living in a snow globe, I feel it's like a sand globe. Weird I know...It's just so much different than life in Iowa, but yet random things don't strike me as odd. I mean, seeing goats run around outside near our apt doesn't register. It's like my life has always been like this. (Maybe it's the honeymoon phase.)

More to come...

1 comment:

Lindsay Blake said...

Hi Annie. My name is Lindsay and I work with the Council Bluffs Daily Nonpareil. I was told you are from Neola and at the moment teaching in Africa. I was excited for a few reasons. 1. I lived in Pakistan and am always excited to hear about others who leave the country to serve and 2. I'd love to write a story on you. Is there a way we can connect sometime through email? I also have skype so maybe we could connect that way. I'm not 100% sure how to get your contact information... Do you have a relative that could contact the Nonpareil and give me your email address? I hope we can connect! Thanks!