Sunday, August 3, 2008

48 hours

First off, I guess I sent the wrong address so if you need my correct one, please let me know. :)

Now onto the good stuff. :)

I don't feel like I'm doing a good job of portraying my experiences here so sometime I hope to take videos. I mean, right now I hear the call to prayer from the Mosque, am sitting in mid80s at 8:15 pm, and yet am using the computer to write this blog. I am getting used to the idea of two showers a day, always having sandy feet, daily power cuts, and greeting everyone in French and hopefully soon, Wolof. The taxi rides (and bartering) are crazy. Luckily I don't do it, my friend does. No words can describe the driving really. I mean, how do you explain to most Americans that part of the "interstate" here has no lines, people walk alongside and across it, and that playing chicken on smaller roads is part of the driving process. On a side note, the prices here are comparable or more expensive than the US. It may be hard to believe but it's true. Fortunately I haven't bought much but taxi fares and a camel key chain.

Culture shock has not set in yet. Fortunately, I have been welcomed by several ladies who have taken me under their wing so I haven't had to really venture out alone (except to walk to school).

Here are the details of my last 48 hours in case you're interested:

I have been hanging out with one of the other teachers, and Danielle has been kind enough to show me around. Yesterday we went downtown. It's quite a place. Lots of stands selling things. People of course, tend to approach us, but luckily Danielle speaks French very well. She went to high school at DA so she knows how to handle situations. Yay! We ate at a local restaurant where I had chwarma (sp?). Basically it was a tortilla/flat bread with meat, french fries, tomatoes, onions, and sauce inside. (Good but different Hannah. ;) )

I went to an international church today that is in English. It was awesome. Most of the people that attend are from other African countries: Nigeria, Sierra Leone, etc. It lasted over two hours. (We never know when it'll end, just like HAC. Just kidding Pastor Ray) :) The vibrant singing and dancing were beautiful.

After church we went to the beach. I love the ocean and could get into the habit of going every weekend. The water was warm and not too rough. There were lots of guys playing soccer, people selling things (again asking us all the time), and music blaring. If I closed my eyes, it almost felt like an American beach as hip-hop and rap blared through the speakers. Then I'd be jolted back to reality by lots of voices speaking languages I don't understand: French and Wolof. Everytime someone approached, I would look blankly at Danielle who would answer. The people next to us offered us juice so we couldn't refuse. It was sort of a maalox consistency and taste with a bit of fruit. Interesting but that's life abroad.

I hope to start running tomorrow. That may be an adventure. My goal is to hopefully be able to run the sandhill with the soccer players but we'll see what happens. I was huffing and puffing walking up a teeny-tiny incline from the beach. :)

More to come...

1 comment:

sara lyn said...

if you went to the beach i think you did - give yourself some credit, its not a "teeny-tiny incline". :) sounds like you are enjoying yourself - that is good to hear! it is fun to hear your descriptions of your new home...makes me homesick for it all. :) enjoy!