Friday, January 2, 2009

now that's unique

She walked in the door with a slight bend in her posture and a cane in her hand. She then started to walk slowly around the indoor track while the 6th grade girls shot hoops. As I was finishing my workout she appeared in the door, caneless, and settled down on a weight machine.

I always wish I could write a book that took place at the Neola community center It's such a fascinating place. I mean, there are probably few other places in the U.S. where you can find yourself working out with a former Miss Basketball and an 80+ person. I love watching the elderly lift weights. It's so cool. And don't be fooled by their age-those farm women are strong!

Today is my last full day at home, that is, if the weather cooperates. Tomorrow I begin my Eastern Iowa journey to Ames followed by 2+ days in Tipton. It should be fun. It's hard to believe how much my life has changed in the time since I last left these two towns.

My adjustment to the US was fine. No real culture shock. I didn't like shopping at Walmart though. Halfway through I started getting frustrated with all the choices. I couldn't decide what type of canned chicken I wanted. Fortunately there was only one type of canned ham so that settled me down. (We'll see what these taste like in Senegal.)

Highlights:
"sledding" with Hannah. It was all icy and on my very first run, I knocked over the cherry tree in our yard! Then we decided to be brave and sled in the pasture. We flew down that hill. Hannah only slipped 18 times on the ice that day. ;)

seeing my grandma gradually improve from her stroke that occurred the same day I came down with malaria

cooking with my dad. It's funny that we don't know what we did when we only had one oven in the house. ;)

an Iowa bowl victory...in convincing fashion I might add

the every day events with my family. I love them so much


Next post should be from the other side of the Atlantic!

No comments: