Wednesday, January 21, 2009

I survived Outreach '09

I know this post is long overdue, but it's been pretty crazy since I've returned to Senegal. I landed in Senegal with enough time to take a 1 hour nap before starting professional development here at DA. I had four days to get ready for classes, and then we all hit the ground running.

Last Friday was another Outreach. I did not come down with malaria (Yay!) so I was able to participate in all the events.
Schedule:
*Meet at school at 5:00 am
*Depart by pushing one of the busses/vans out of the parking lot
*Ride four hours to the YWAM Center which was very nice for the African bush. The YWAM Center had squatty potties (a hole in the ground) and showers that had water most of the time. It also had foam beds for us adults!!!
*Depart for the various locations: drama, roofing, foundation, medical, VBS, and basecamp. I worked at the basecamp setting up tents and filtering water.
*Eat supper at 6 pm. We ate out of the common bowl. That is, 7 of us sat around a big bowl and shared the contents.
*Depart for the evangelism campaign which started at 8:45 and ended at 11:30 pm. At the campaign, we sang songs in French, Wolor, Serrar (tribal languages), and English. There was also drama, speaking, and a video.
*Bed time

Saturday pretty much looked like the schedule above except my job was different. I made bricks. That's right, I made bricks by hand. It was fun. I worked with 3 of my students, and we had a great time.

On Sunday we were able to worship at a church that the DA students helped with last year. It was awesome to hear that there had been 50 baptisms at this church in the last year. God is really moving in this part of Senegal. It's humbling to think that we are a part of it.


Other events:
*It is cold. That's right, cold. I know I shouldn't be complaining b/c it's probably in the upper 50s, lower 60s in the mornings, but that is cold for here. I definitely did not bring enough warm clothes so I keep wearing the same thing each morning. ;)
*We had to do a lice check on our students. That was interesting. I feel like I know my students pretty well now after picking through their hair. I mean, how do you politely ask someone if they have dandruff? Ah well, we all survived. The students are used to this so it wasn't that big of a deal.
*Softball starts up again Saturday. I bought baseball socks for us girls on the team so we are going to wear them for the first time on Saturday. We figure we can at least look good playing this game. ;)

Well, I think that's all the news in my life right now. Thanks for reading.

No comments: