Tuesday, December 29, 2009

shoulda made a list

Oh how quickly the break is passing. I can't believe I'll be sitting in professional development meetings in one week. Oh my!

I've used this break to do something I love-read. I've read, read, and read some more. In between reading stints, I have had some "fun"

I have a big fear of snakes. Just the thought of them makes me shudder. As my friend and I were slowly jogging one day, I asked her if there were snakes around here. She told me she hadn't seen one in years. I'm sure you know where the story goes from here. A few days later we are jogging again when I see something emerge from the brush about 10 feet in front of us. This HUGE snake slithers across the dirt path. It's so big it covers the path which was about 3 feet long. Let me tell you-I did a "happy" dance and quickly turned around.

One tradition the "English" speakers have here is to sing carols while cruising on the river. There were about 20 people in our group consisting of Americans, Hondurans, Swiss, and Germans. Oh, and by cruising, I mean renting a pirogue for an hour. After being on the water for about 15-20 minutes, my friend leans over during a carol and whispers, "We're taking on water." She wasn't kidding either. I guess it's common and fortunately the boat guy didn't try to be a hero. We went back to the bank of the river and switched boats (without crossing over to land). You should have a great mental picture because my balance stinks.

What else?
I'v been out to a village where I climbed rocks in flip flops and a pagna. I've been in a car when it got a flat tire. I found Mt Dew in a boutique. I helped my friend make homemade marshmallows for our upcoming camping trip. She even had to make homemade corn syrup so that we could make the marshmallows.
Adventures? Naaaa...just life in Africa.

Catch ya in 2010. (Now is it two thouand ten or twenty ten? I've wondered this for a while.)

No comments: