Friday, June 12, 2009

we'll call this "A Short Story"

Greetings from Iowa. Right now I'll call it "The Land of Green." I am thankful that I live in the country and that every direction I look, I see fields of green. I didn't realize how much I missed the green until I got back. It's beautiful and at times, I swear it is glowing. The temp has been amazing as well. I love warm weather, but I am enjoying these springlike temps. I thought I'd be cold, but I'm finding the weather to be so refreshing. I've considered it a small gift from God. I do apologize to the rest of you here that are wanting summer temps ;) Hold on...they are coming.

I realized I better blog about my last night in Dakar and about my trip home. I went out to dinner with one of my friends. After dinner, we went to this little shack and ordered crepes. We were commenting on the nice atmosphere as we were in this little artist area along the ocean. Then all of a sudden, we see two ladies break into a fight in the restaurant/bar right next to us. There was pushing, hair pulling, yelling, etc. I've never seen a chick fight before. It even seemed to have two rounds. Craziness...

Then on the drive home, the car in front of us hit the Mercedes in front of him. We heard the crunch and my friend was like, "That wasn't us was it?" Driving the roundpoints, you get pretty close to the vehicles around you. Fortunately we were able to maneuver around the accident and escape seeing a fight there as well.

Overall, my flights went well. Nothing major really. We had to deplane in Minneapolis after boarding late because of mechanical problems but they found us a new plane within the hour. Considering the whole trip, arriving 3 hours late was not that bad. I was impressed with how kind all the passengers were about this. I guess that's what happens when you fly into small-town USA ;). I didn't have a phone so this lady let me use hers to call my parents.
There were four other things that stood out about my travels:
1. In the security line at JFK, I was behind a girl going to the Gambia for the summer. My thoughts: small world
2. Everyone is so clean in the U.S.
3. I amused the guy behind the candy counter at the Minneapolis airport as I stood and stared for several minutes before making my selection. The final verdict: sugar babies.
4. My first meal back in the US was McDonalds: sausage, egg bisquit and hashbrowns. It was heavenly. ;) It was ironic that they had to give me $16 in ones because they were out of other change. I guess it is better than getting candy/matches like in Africa.

I think that's about it. Oh, the College World Series starts tomorrow! Wahoo!!!!!! Look for me on the left-field line.

Over and out...
Annie

No comments: