Friday, April 17, 2009

...then I remembered I live in Africa

It's strange, but sometimes I forget I live in Senegal. Life has become routine which I guess is a good thing. Then little things pop up that remind me that my life is very different compared to this time a year ago.

For example:

Bob the gecko is back. I'm letting him stay b/c he's eating lots of bugs...or so my roomie tells me.

I bought some cheap cereal and noticed there were bugs in the box. I started eating the cereal b/c I thought they didn't penetrate the plastic...I was wrong.

I sat down to watch a movie with someone tonight and the electricity went off. Fortunately it came back on in 15 minutes, but it wasn't too surprising to experience the power cut.

There have also been good things about living here.

Examples from the last two days:
I am house sitting for a family. I was able to watch a movie, eat Ben & Jerry's from the carton, and have a nice time. I love being able to build into my students outside of school.

I can speak openly about my faith, my struggles, etc in youth group and not find it awkward.

I have a study hall who is like a family. They pretty much rock. We now have our secret stash of candy which they really enjoy.

No comments: