Saturday, January 29, 2011

Investigations (not wasted days)

My classes have been doing investigations (or will be doing investigations) based on ideas we have come across in the world outside the mathematics classroom. We haven't analyzed the data yet so I have no idea what it will show. I used to fear that these would be "wasted" days in the math classroom. Now I want to have more of these days. Why? I want my students to read/see something and ask questions.
"Is this true?"
"Could we prove it?"
"What would happen if...?"
My students aren't independently there yet, but I hope I can guide them there.

Current investigation 1: We looked at the Noah basketball website http://www.noahbasketball.com/optimal_arc.php
and the press it is getting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FEmBY-n71Y to set up an investigation in advanced mathematics. We used flip cameras(?) to videotape students shooting 10-20 shots. We shot from the free-throw line, three-point line, and half court. Next week we will analyze the data to see if it fits the Noah site and discuss why our results match/don't match as well as drawbacks in our data collection.

Upcoming investigation 2: The math and physics involved in sledding. I need to collaborate with the physics teacher to get some equations so we know what data to collect. Now hopefully we get a fresh batch of snow soon. (It's Iowa so I'm sure I won't have to wait too long.)
I also hope to fit quadratic models into this investigation as well. Snowballs will need to be used...Oh boy, I think this will test my classroom management strategies, but I can't wait!

No comments: